Frumpy butts happen. I know because I’ve gone through two full-term pregnancies and I’ve always had a desk job. Sitting on your butt for a good part of the day can lead to frumpy butt syndrome. Whether the cause of your frumpy butt is from excess body fat, lack of exercise and/or excessive sitting during the day, you don’t have to deal with frumpy butt syndrome forever. There are plenty of things you can do to get your butt noticeably more round and bubbly within a matter of DAYS but I’m going to share my very favorites in this post.
Each of the methods outlined below are ones that my body seemed to respond to really quickly and I hope you find that they work beautifully for you too.
1. Run. Fast.
Okay, so you don’t necessarily HAVE to run fast, but it’ll get you results a lot faster than walking will. Have you ever noticed how sprinters have butts that are pretty round and bubbly? It’s because sprinting or running at high speeds makes the glutes WORK. Not only will it help to strengthen them, but running will also help you to lose excess body fat. Do you know what this means? You can literally run your butt off. Sweet!
To spice things up a bit and get your butt really working try using more resistance or a steeper incline on cardio machines such as the elliptical, treadmill or spinning bike. You can also take your run outdoors for more challenging terrain.
2. Isolate your Butt Muscles with Strength Training Exercises
Strength training exercises that target and isolate your glutes will help to build those muscles creating a nice lifting effect for you.
Some of my favorites include:
*Click each link to see a demo
Your Personal Frumpy Butt Fighting Routine
The plan of attack I have for you consists of strength training and cardio. The cardio workout is short, but intense, and can be done either prior to or immediately following the strength training workout, or even done on another day if you prefer. I seem to get great results when I do cardio immediately following a strength training workout (and it’s nice to get it all done in one day) but it all comes down to your preference and what works for you. There is no wrong order in my opinion, just as long as both get done.
- Barbell Squats – Perform 2 to 3 sets of squats for 8 to 10 reps. If you can easily perform these sets while just using your bodyweight, then it’s time to add more resistance. Resistance is what will help build up the butt muscles. (No barbell? Substitute dumbbells)
- Barbell Deadlifts – Perform 2 to 3 sets for 8 to 10 reps.
- Dumbbell Sumo Squats – Perform 2 to 3 sets for 10 to 12 reps.
- Side-to-Curtsy Lunges – Perform 2 to 3 sets for 10 to 12 reps. Lunges are my least favorite exercise but curtsy lunges really make the sides of your booty work.
- Kettlebell Swings – Perform 2 to 3 sets of these and shoot for 10 to 12 reps.
*No barbell? Sub with dumbbells :)
*Be sure to SQUEEZE your butt at the top of every movement and always use a weight that challenges you to the end!
- 20 minute HIIT workout – Perform 30 second sprints followed by 60 seconds of walking. HIIT (high intensity interval training) is both fast and efficient and will get you the results you’re looking for, quickly. *If you’re a beginner, begin with 30 second sprints and 90 seconds of walking and work your way up to 30/60. There are so many variations you can do!
Repeat this workout at least twice per week for 2 weeks in addition to eating a healthy, balanced diet and you WILL see the beginnings of a lifted booty and you can say goodbye to the frumpy butt!
TIP: If you have a desk job, try to get up and move around every 20-30 minutes or so. Every little bit helps.
Q. What is your favorite exercise to work the booty?